Japan RV Rental Logo
Get a License Camping Guide FAQ Stores

 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers.

Get a Driver License Translation

Having trouble getting your driver license translation? If your driver license is issued from Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Monaco, Switzerland, Slovenia or Taiwan we can arrange the translation for you in advance of your arrival to Japan. We need color copies of both sides of your current valid driver license and it costs 7,100 JPY. It takes 2 weeks to process.

Or you can arrange it yourself at Japan Automobile Federation ( JAF ). Go to one of their main offices and they can have the document made for you within 30 minutes. You will need a valid driver license from your home country.

Go to JAF to find the closest office.

Can I Do One Way Rental?

One way rental are not possible between Tokyo and Sapporo. We are now offering one way rental between Tokyo and Nagoya for an extra fee of 55,000 JPY. One way rental between Osaka and Tokyo is also possible on request for an extra 66,000 JPY. Conditions apply so please ask.


About GPS Navigation

There is an English GPS Navigator in the camper for you. The easiest way to find your destination is to use phone number search as you must have some Japanese language skill to input an address.

It is a good idea to prepare a list of phone numbers of places that you want to visit. We can offer you travel information when you pickup the camper however guidebooks are written in Japanese only. If you are not sure exactly where in a particular city you want to go just use the phone number of the closest Japan Post office easily found on the internet using map search.


Parking In Cities.

Parking in city area can be a problem but not impossible. There is no street parking and big fines can be issued by police for illegal parking. There are paid parking lots. Just look for the "P" sign and companies such Times 24H have automatic parking lots.

The camper is 5 meters long which is the length of a standard car park. However keep in mind that some city streets are narrow and you are driving a large vehicle. Be aware of overhead obstructions as well.You can park in other places for free. Park for shorter time in convenience store car park or overnight in road side rest areas.

See more about parking and camping options here.



Japan By Ferry.

It is possible to take the camping car by ferry between islands of Japan. However you must have permission to do so first and early reservation must be made with the ferry company. They will require the vehicles dimensions and information on the vehicle registration. We can arrange this for you, please ask.

Currently only one company on the popular Aomori, Honshu to Hakodate, Hokkaido route provides an English booking service. Go to the ferry company website to schedules and fares.


How Does ETC Highway Toll Card Work?

We can lend you an ETC toll collection card at no extra charge. Simply drive through the ETC lane at toll booths on the highway and the card keeps a record of the road charges. When you return to the office we can check the total amount and you pay us back. You will be given an official invoice from the toll collection company.

This service is only available from our Tokyo office. Payment by cash at all tolling booths is accepted. Read more on ETC and toll roads.

Toilets and Showers.

All larger Type B campers include a toilet in a seperate wet room. The toilet is a cassette type system with a small chemical tank which will need to be emptied after 7 days of use. As a general rule we reccomend only using for emergency or occasonal use. There are public restrooms in roadside rest areas, parks and convenience stores.

No campers include a shower. Showers and bathing is best done at campgrounds or for a relaxing journey choose from the thousands of hot spring bath located around Japan.


About the Heater, Lights and Power.

All campers have a 12 volt backup battery system for off grid heating, lighting and powering low voltage items such as phone chargers. It also supplies power to the refrigerator, ventilation fan and TV.

There is enough power in the battery to operate these systems throughout the night but it must be recharged everyday. It takes 4 hours of running the engine/ driving or by plugging the camper into mains 100 volt power outlet available at most campgrounds.


All campers have a Webasto, FF heater (forced flue) It operates by burning a small amount of fuel directly from the vehicles tank. Warm air is ducted into the vehicle interior.


The cooler works only when the engine is running. Cool air is ducted throughout. You will not be able to run this system in camp grounds or at night time.

There is a ventilation fan. We recommend that you travel to higher altitude, mountain areas in the warmest months.


Japan RV Rental. Copyright 2017